A 23-year-old male, Justus A. Booze of Schenectady, died Wednesday, May 4, after somehow becoming entangled in a wood-chipping machine during what was reportedly his first day at a new job.
Contractors from Countryside Tree Care, Guilderland, were removing large trees in front of a home at 215 Placid Drive in Guilderland when the incident occurred, around 1:15 p.m., according to Guilderland Police reports. Booze was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is in early stages of investigating the incident, in a case names solely Countryside Tree Care.
If the employer is found in violation of employee training or safety laws, OSHA could issue citations and impose fines.
A GoFundMe online fundraising campaign has been made to help the Booze family with funeral expenses. To donate, visit gofundme.com/22nws342.